Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 in.focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryf1fan View Post
I think he'll do okay... wished I could say he would go over there and kick @$$ and take names, but other countries develop rallying drivers like we develop pee-wee (or pop) football players. Starts at a very young age. Most drivers that do rallying compete in cars they can't legally drive on the road. Americans are just so far behind the curve by the time they get the shot. I know Chris is 24, or something, but he'll be competing against driver that have over a decade of experience by that age. I think McRae started at 6 or 8 years old, or something crazy like that and most of the drivers in WRC have that same type of seat time. Crazy!

I do hope he does well, but may very well struggle. I think his first goal (as with any race driver) is finishing and just gain the experience. If he can finish the car with little drama - it would bode well for him and his showing at Rally GB. Remember how Block struggled last year in WRC (and we know how talented he is), had several DNF's.
I was thinking a lot of the same things. It's crazy/awesome how early the Europeans start they're racing careers. I know Jari-Matti also started at the age of 8. That being said, hopefully Chris can hold his own, he is in a class by himself on US soil so he'll finally get a chance to be pushed by other drivers.

I don't know how Chris will fair in the WRC Academy standings, but I'm about 90% sure he will beat Block...because Block still doesn't know how to drive stage rally. He had plenty of troubling finishing Rally America events where his only real competition was Pastrana, ACP, L'EStage, and maybe a couple of others.

That being said, Block has shown that his pace on both gravel and tarmac can be quite impressive...he just needs to link some solid stages together. It's just the consistency that he has trouble with.