Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2011, 02:55 AM   #60
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 10 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by e350 coupe View Post
I cannot really agree with this as I had the september fix, which did absolutely nothing.
OK, let me try this one more time...

1) On 8/12/11, Ford releases a new PCM/TCM calibration to manufacturing.

2) A few weeks later, TSB 11-9-5 is released for service.

3) Shortly after the TSB was released, the following bulletin was issued:
22051 (AWARENESS) CALIBRATION UPDATE - AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION AND ENGINE DRIVABILITY IMPROVEMENTS - BUILT ON ON BEFORE 8/12/2011
SOME 2012 FOCUS VEHICLES BUILT ON OR BEFORE 8/12/2011 MAY EXHIBIT VARIOUS AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION AND ENGINE DRIVABILITY CONCERNS. THE VEHICLE MAY ALSO EXHIBIT DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (DTC) U0422, P00D2, P068A, P0850, P2610, P2832, P286F OR P2877. ATTEMPTING TO REFLASH THE POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE AND TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE WITH IDS RELEASE 74.05 OR 75.01 WILL RESULT IN A NO CRANK/NO START CONDITION AND SHOULD NOT BE PERFORMED AT THIS TIME. CONTINUE TO MONITOR OASIS FOR UPDATES.

4) On 10/2/11, TSB 11-10-2 is released:
This article supersedes TSBs 11-5-11, 11-7-22 and 11-9-5 to consolidate previously released articles, updated Title, Issue Statement and Service Procedure...
Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) and transmission control module (TCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release 75.02 and higher.

I did the update a couple of weeks ago with no problems.
Just now I opened the TCM calibration file that was used for the update and found the following (in the file header):
Generated on Fri Aug 5 11:15:10 2011

Yes, the TCM calibration file was generated on August 5.
It may be your opinion that Ford should have acted faster, but that does not change the facts.
New IDS versions usually incorporate many updates (it is used worldwide) so it does not happen overnight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e350 coupe View Post
As for re-flashing, they just leave your car running rather then hooking up a battery charger.
That is absurd. The PCM and TCM calibration files are a matched set and must be replaced at the same time. The engine cannot be running while replacing the PCM firmware (just as you cannot make a phone call while installing a new OS in your cell phone).

When I said "the problem was with the reflashing procedure", I was referring to an internal procedure that is carried out by the IDS software. In other words, there was a software bug with IDS 75.01 that could brick one of your modules.