Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2011, 09:06 PM   #57
e350 coupe
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84808
What I Drive: 2010 E-350 Coupe/2012 Titanium Htbk

FF Reputation: 5 e350 coupe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
The Ford diagnostic system (IDS) that the dealers use is updated periodically (usually every 1 to 2 months).
When a new calibration (module firmware) is available, the IDS system "doesn't know about it" until it is updated to the latest revision.

Why did they "recall" the September update?

Nothing was wrong with the new PCM/TCM firmware. The problem was with the reflashing procedure used by the version of IDS that was current at that time. The next version of IDS (available in early October) fixed that problem.
I cannot really agree with this as I had the september fix, which did absolutely nothing. As for re-flashing, they just leave your car running rather then hooking up a battery charger.

If you look at the sequence of events, they release the vehicle which was similar to the Fiesta transmission in January of 2011. Numerous problems are first reported in the Fiesta line, as I should know as I went through 3 transmissions and a driveshaft before Ford took the car back.

Now being the same transmission is in the Focus, as was in the Fiesta, they are looking for a fix.

Sometime in August they are confident that they fixed it, and released the fix which was applied to every car after Aug-12 production.

They however do not release this fix for other cars until sept-05. A few days later they stop applying the fix, as it did not change anything.

On October-02 they release another fix which apparently works for every car produced before august 12th. The reason before august-12 is because the software was already updated at the factory on or after august 12th.

Thus my question is, if they updated the software at the factory on or after august 12, why did they not immediately release it for the public who was complaining and dropping their stock value, and also leading to consumers reports giving it a negative report and affecting the 2012 Focus's new reputation.

I guess we could say they waited until Sept-05 to make sure the update was not problematic, if this is the case then why not release it as soon as possible to avoid bad publicity.

Ford is now in 20th place of 28 manufacturers and I am sure that they would have done anything to have prevented this.

Instead Ford kept the apparent fix for another 4 weeks and released a fix on October 02, and very silently as even my dealer did not know it was available until I informed them, and gave them this information.

A search of my VIN for the TSB showed nothing, it was this forum that brought forward the information, to allow my transmission to be updated

There is something definitely wrong in the way the was done, Ford does not let it's reputation slide, and new model release go downhill, all because they want to take their time.

I do know, that in the short time I had my 2011 Fiesta, and went through 3 new transmissions, every replacement was newer and different then the previous one, they removed, and this was all done in a little under a month.