Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - You're doing it wrong! AKA Rice Reports(Post autofails here!)
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2011, 08:55 AM   #6414
apagios
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 40891
What I Drive: '03 ZX5 SVT, '05 Mazdaspeed Miata

FF Reputation: 3 apagios Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by goinloco1 View Post
hmm..never dealt with a shorted battery have you?
1 it was dead, hence the jumpstart, so not gonna start
2 you arent going to pull shorted battery cables unless you adore instant third degree burns.
3 shorted batteries go boom so best to stay back unless, once again, you like burns
4 it was a girl that had the red one, not easy to push a car
5 looks like the red one caught fire from wiring burning
6 go ahead and try to put the fire out with your shirt... its not gonna happen and you can actually make it worse either feeding the flames or dropping your burning shirt. remember? the bottom of the engine compartment is open, fire can get air from everywhere.

Basically its best to leave it and get back unless you have a fire extinguisher (which sometimes doesn't help anyways, especially electrical shorts), and you can somehow remove the jumper cables since they will feed the fire and set fire to anything they touch.
While I understand your points, and it's my own personal choice and clearly probably not shared by many. I'll take the burns to save my car if it's possible to save.

At the very least if the battery is shorted and the cables are attached you can yank hard on the cables from the middle or other end. Obviously it's not normally a good idea, but if sparks are flying, yanking the cable is better then leaving it hooked up.

My main point was some quick decisive action could have potentially helped prevent the fire. Obviously a shirt won't put out an engine bay fire that's roaring as that one obviously did. But again perhaps some quick decisive action in putting it out immediately when it's just starting and small could prevent it from growing to uncontrollable.

Clearly if the entire engine bay is on fire I will not be removing my shirt and smothering or beating flames.