red rooster
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 91306
What I Drive: 2012 race red se sedan

FF Reputation: 1 red rooster Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN 2012 Ford Focus View Post
mmmoose, thank you for your response offering me a driving lesson by explaining the difference between electronic assist and hydraulic power steering; as if I understood how electronic assist worked, then there would not be a problem with the steering. Obviously, I need to explain in more detail. As I said in my first attempt to explain the problem, it is not when the car reaches 60 to 65 mph (if that was the case, I could understand what was going on), but after some distance at that speed. I wonder (I am guessing) if when the car senses no activity, such as on a straight-a-way where there is no correction going on to keep the car straight, then maybe the electronic assist shuts down to save on power for better gas mileage. Now, that's when the steering gets stiff. So when you need to correct it to stay centered in the lane, it takes more pressure to turn the steering wheel, then for an instant, the electronic assist kicks in, the steering loosens up, and the car darts in the direction you were correcting it to go. Then it stiffens up right away, so when you correct it back, the process repeats. So I find myself zig-zagging down the lane. Now I find that if I move the steering wheel back and forth rapidly for a few times (not swerving the car, just shaking the steering wheel left-to-right slightly) I can make the car stop acting up and it will drive fine...sometimes for a long distance, sometimes for a short distance. It's like I have to wake up the steering so it will respond normally without jerking when you try to correct it. I hope this is a better explanation of what's going on with the steering.
I have the steering problem also and see it as a major safety issue. Just drove from CA to MN and was exhausted keeping it on the road. When the snow flies, I doubt it will stay on the road. I dread driving back and then arguing with the dealer thinking I am another one of those dumb customers imagining things! And I had really looked forward to the trip in my brand new car..