Old 10-29-2011, 07:39 PM   #1
Twenty
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17

Fan#: 90312
What I Drive: 2012 YB SE sedan w/ ST exterior

FF Reputation: 9 Twenty Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
OEM Mudflap Installation

Today I finally had a chance to install the OEM mudflaps that I'd previously picked up. I figured I'd put up some pictures of the install, like when I swapped to Ti fog light bezels, for anyone interested. These can be used with the supplied instructions.

Part numbers:
Front mudflaps: BM5Z-16A550-C
Rear mudflaps: BM5Z-16A550-B (For four-door only)

Note that you do not have to remove the wheels to install these, though it would be a little easier at times to have them out of the way.

I started by washing the car this morning, and then again cleaning the areas where the mudflaps would sit once I got home.

Front:

With the area clean, I cut out a small section of clear vinyl to act as a barrier between the mudflap and the paint of the fender. The idea behind this was to prevent any dirt that may get between from scratching the paint. Using the mudflap as a guide, I cut it to follow the lines of the fender, and then stuck it on.

Next, there are four clips to be removed from the corner. Three are in the wheel well, one is underneath the stock side skirt. A flat head screwdriver makes quick work of it.

Included in the package is a set of new retainers to hold everything in place.

The mudflap can go in place at this point, and the appropriate clips can be placed in their respective places. One more hole has to be used though, and if it's not already there it'll have to be drilled. Turn the front wheels to full-lock in the opposite direction (So that the leading edge of the wheel is pointed inward) and you'll have room to fit a drill in behind-upside down.

Push the final clip into place, and as with the previous ones, a hammer locks it into place.

Repeat the install on the other side, and the front mudflaps are on!

Next will be the rears.

SR #74/SMk3C #17/YBOC #03
Bill M.