Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - So I blew up my Duratec 2.0L time for new engine.
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2011, 11:50 AM   #3
megax36
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 41533
What I Drive: 09' Black SE

Points 1,017, Level 17
Points: 1,017, Level: 17 Points: 1,017, Level: 17 Points: 1,017, Level: 17
Level Up 17% Completed
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 4 megax36 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I would recommend the 2.3L (D23) to anyone who's looking to replace their engine. It's a little less efficient as far as fuel economy is concerned, but the benefits from the power are worth it. If you buy one as is, it will give you an extra 20 horses over the 2.0L (D20).

If you have the money or the time, you could also look into re-building it with some forged pistons and rods. As well as deciding to build it for F/I (low comp piston) or NA (high comp piston).

Since you have a 2007, it will pretty much be a direct swap for you, however you will have to purchase the accessory belt for the D23 as well as the correct passenger motor mount (or use washers to raise your current one by 1/2 an inch), as the D23 is 1/2 an inch taller and the intermediate bracket for the passenger cv axel will not line up properly if you don’t. I would also recommend that you use the IM from your D20, so that you will not have to swap out your ECU and harness for the D23 equivalents. You will also have to drill a hole in the dip stick that is 1/2 an inch higher than the original hole to equate for the difference in height. Other than that, just swap all your accessories and sensors over to the new engine.