Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - SYNC without MFT and Bluetooth audio
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2011, 07:11 AM   #6
Dr. Woo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90817
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Sport SGM

FF Reputation: 0 Dr. Woo Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottage View Post
I believe the answer to your question is yes. I have an iphone which syncs wirelessly to MFT/Sync and it's not an issue. On syncmyride.com Ford does provide a list of compatible phones. This is also a great site for answers to questions about sync and MFT.
Indeed, unfortunately my phone (Samsung Captivate) isn't listed, but it's running Android 2.1 so I figure it should have good compatibility. I've been checking Sync sites out there and have gotten lots of great info, but never a straight answer to using music voice search phrases with Bluetooth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottMcC View Post
...On second thought, IIRC the voice commands specifically for playing a specific artist will not work via bluetooth, only USB. You have to use the player on your phone to make that kind of selection. But please don't take your eyes off the road!!!
That's what I was starting to fear. I may have to pick up a USB drive. There's only one USB port, right? Or are there two? Would be nice to leave a flash drive in one and have the other available for charging the phone if need be.

EDIT: Found a photo. Only one, bummer.

Anyone know if this thing will play nice with a hub?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottMcC View Post
But still I don't think you or I are missing a thing.
SE w/ 203A... most bang for the buck!!!!
My thoughts exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GapBoyPCS View Post
It really depends on whether your Android smartphone is a compatible media player with SYNC. If not, then you're stuck with having to use a compatible media player or USB stick if you're planning to use voice to control the media player.

If you do use a USB stick, make sure you have the right tags on the songs. Simple things like "Dr. Dre" might mean you need to tag your song as "Doctor Dray" because SYNC might misinterpret abbreviations.

Otherwise, you could just have your phone stream via Bluetooth, and use the steering wheel mounted controls for basic controls i.e. volume, next track, and previous track. Voice can work for playing and pausing.
Thanks. That clears up a lot of fuzziness.

One question - I'm guessing in order to build voice commands and allow for quick searching the media library needs to be indexed. How often does this happen? Every time you turn on the car? Does this only apply to MFT?

Last edited by Dr. Woo; 10-16-2011 at 08:23 AM.