Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Fuel pressure test on a Duratec 2.3L
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2011, 06:37 PM   #4
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 267 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
You have a return-less fuel injection system. All you have is a fuel sensor in the center of the rail. There is no FPR. The fuel sensor sends information to the PCM, and it regulates voltage to the fuel pump to maintain pressure.

If you really must know what it is, there are 2 ways to figure out fuel pressure. The first of which is to use a scan tool that is capable of monitoring fuel pressure. The second is to cut a mechanical fuel pressure gauge into the fuel line. There is a test, but seeing fluctuations wouldn't be uncommon. I can go find out how to do that test if you want. There might be a test function in the electronic odometer that shows FP, but I don't know what the display will look like, and I would expect the number to be in kPa not psi.

Generic fuel pump tests like 1) Key off, all accessories off 2) turn key to on 3) listen for fuel pump sound buzzing- if it buzzes for longer than 5 seconds your fuel pump is struggling, and could be on the way out. If you don't hear it, then you probably don't have a working fuel pump. I would double check several times- including have someone remove the fuel cap and listen there while you cycle the key.

What's wrong with the car? Is this a crank but not start issue?

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.