DanteCaspian
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 57473
What I Drive: 2012, Platinum, Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 DanteCaspian Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishey72 View Post
Just test drove a new Focus. Love everything about the car except.... the transmission. Car had 46 miles on it. From a stop it is just awful, stepping on gas and waiting... waiting... waiting and now we are going. At lower speeds, under 35 it just could not figure out a gear to be in.

Any suggestions? I will go back and test a car with more miles on it and see if it is any different. New car must have trans that works better than a 13 yo Subaru Outback we are replacing.

Oh, and this is the first time my shadow has ever darkened an American auto makers showroom.

The behaviour of the transmission seems to be one of the top confusions among new owners and those looking at purchasing.
If you want a bit more zip from take-off and in general, you need to drop it into the select shift. Even then there is a bit of a delay in manual. Computer signals and processing when stepping on the accelerator are too mindful on fuel economy I think.
I just had mine in and was griping about this. Some delays are 2 seconds. My issue was intermittent. Sometime good and properly responsive, sometimes not. i think they did some update (not sure as the invoice was not written up when I picked it up). It is a bit better, but is really not as much of a difference as I would like, especially at take-off.