Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - 2012 Focus Custom Ram Air How-To
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2011, 09:12 AM   #136
SimonSellsAustin
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90594
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue SE hatch.

FF Reputation: 2 SimonSellsAustin Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Craig9080= I went back and re-read the thread for this.. and it's touched on for one post without much inspection. Elizabeth started getting into a noise reduction within the stock system behind the ford emblem but didn't go into detail on how to modify it to perform better.

Some people are simply removing the resonator and that's what I began to do but quickly decided it would make noise and loose effectiveness.

Has anyone really looked at the way it's taking in air from behind the ford emblem? What about the interaction with the active shutter system? Can that be modified or enhanced to be better used?

I'm not debating that adding a scoop and toob will increase the amount of air going in but I'm wondering if the stock air intake should be deleted or modified to help increase airflow. If it is actually a detriment then maybe a stock air intake delete is in order (just hacksaw the toobs and cover with duct tape). Then the stock air could simply direct cool air into the engine bay.. and the new ram system will serve the modified airbox.

*update- I pulled back the shroud and inspected the air intake further...

From what I'm seeing here if you don't delete this stock intake it will just screw up your new ram air system. Looks like a cold air intake that's feeding off of air leaks in front. No ram system at all.. not pulling air from the grill section. Flaps keep fresh air from going up while directing air towards the radiator. Simple solution would be to use duct tape over the tube between air pipe and airbox (That way the inlet is covered and engine suction won't pull your tape off the inside of the box. It also keeps the ram air from blowing out the tube into the grill section.

Last edited by SimonSellsAustin; 10-08-2011 at 10:26 AM. Reason: *update- I pulled back the shroud and inspected the air intake further...