Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Highway lane drifting
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2011, 05:05 PM   #173
NYCZPlan
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 90535
What I Drive: 2012 Grey Focus

FF Reputation: 1 NYCZPlan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Focus SE 2012 steering problems

The power steering on my 2012 SE hatchback failed yesterday. I was driving at about 10 mph, made a left turn, and the power steering went off, with the warning STEERING ASSIST FAULT SERVICE REQUIRED displayed. I pulled over and turned the car off, started it again and everything was back to normal. The car is at the dealer now. I sent the dealer a quote from, as well as a link to a post in these forums, with a fix to the problem mentioned: apparently some codes for "High Friction inside Power Steering" had been set. Clearing the codes, and reprogramming the PSCM(power steering control module?) with updated software solved the problem for that person. Hopefully the dealer will read what I sent and fix it. The car has only 250 miles on it!

I was disappointed that they didn't offer me a rental car as a courtesy(well they did, sort of: problem is that I'd have to travel an hour and a half by public transportation to pick up and drop off the car). I realize that a rental car is not part of the warranty, but I thought that they'd give me one without question out of sheer professional pride, given that I've had their new car a grand total of four days before the power steering failed.

I haven't noticed drift issues at high speeds yet. Something else to look forward to.

Last edited by NYCZPlan; 10-05-2011 at 10:58 PM. Reason: missing information