Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Power Steering Failure on brand new 2012 Focus
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2011, 05:52 PM   #1
NYCZPlan
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 90535
What I Drive: 2012 Grey Focus

FF Reputation: 1 NYCZPlan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The power steering failed on my brand new 2012 Focus SE hatchback. I made a turn at a speed of approximately 10 mph and the power steering failed with the warning STEERING ASSIST FAULT SERVICE REQUIRED. I managed, with great difficulty, to pull over and stop the car. When I started the car again the warning had cleared and the power steering was normal. It is fortunate both that I was driving, and not my wife, as she isn't strong enough to steer without power steering, and that I was on a street with low traffic.

The car is at a dealer awaiting repair. Given that the car is brand new, I am extremely worried about driving it, even if the mechanics at the dealer claim that it is repaired. I checked the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration web site and found a report of a similar incident, from July 2011, where a similar power steering failure occurred at 60 mph.

I was disappointed that Ford didn't offer me a rental car as a courtesy(well the dealer who sold me the car did, sort of: the problem is that I'd have to travel an hour and a half to New Jersey by public transportation to one of the dealerships in his franchise in order to pick up and drop off a rental car, as the car is being repaired at a different dealer from the one where it was purchased). I realize that a rental car is not part of the standard warranty, but I thought that Ford would give me one without question out of sheer professional pride, given that I've had their new car a grand total of four days before the power steering failed.

Last edited by NYCZPlan; 10-05-2011 at 10:23 PM. Reason: more detail added