Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Duratec Intake Manifold Removal and PCV hose replacement
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2011, 01:53 PM   #59
exploring/carolina
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 84418
What I Drive: 2004 White ZX3

Points 169, Level 3
Points: 169, Level: 3 Points: 169, Level: 3 Points: 169, Level: 3
Level Up 38% Completed
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 5 exploring/carolina Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowerR64 View Post
How much oil would you say came out? I think about 1/4 of a cup leaked out on my pants. But im not sure how much was actually in there.

My hose wasnt split when i did mine but i wasnt sure so rather then question it i just did the delete before any problems did happen.

So since my hose wasnt split we had a hard time with it, the retainer clips that clamp around the hose were hard to get off we wound up cutting it.

I cant imagine fighting with it to put it back on the way it comes stock. Its so tight behind there that there just isnt alot of room.

Not sure how your going to do it but maybe once you have the side on the PCV and clamped you can do the back side of the intake from the bottom? might take 2 people? one to hole the manifold and one to push on the other side. The grease might help though?

When i had mine off i also cleaned my tumble flaps. Mine were pretty grimmy and didnt feel smooth. I didnt wipe them very hard i read they can fall out and then get sucked into the intake ports.

I think im going to buy a new intake manifold though and maybe remove those and then have it retuned with them off to see how it runs without them.

after market intakes dont even have them.
May have gotten 1/8 cup of oil out.

Bought a bottle washer & degreaser (safe for plastic/rubber) to clean the manifold.

Thinking about either installing different screw driver operated hose clamps OR it's tight enough when installed with grease, may not need clamps at all. If replacement is needed, a box cutter can be used to cut slits & remove the hose, if clamps are not installed..

Used ropes to secure the manifold when I removed the OEM clamps & hose. Will probably use rope to position the manifold to slip the hose on the manifold last.

Just a thought:

Will be interesting to see how it goes with a sturdy hose. I believe the larger OEM hose cycles like a bellows, making it crack prematurely. The smaller water heater hose is stronger with nylon cord making it less likely to act like a bellows and should be more durable. Hope to wear the car out with this hose installed!

Appreciate the ideas and input!