Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Duratec Intake Manifold Removal and PCV hose replacement
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2011, 08:32 PM   #54
exploring/carolina
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 84418
What I Drive: 2004 White ZX3

FF Reputation: 5 exploring/carolina Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowerR64 View Post

If you look at the top left i marked in red where i just shaved the side of the tab on the plate part so i could twist the ring off. I did both tabs on the
same sides so i unscrewed it kinda and it poped out without breaking.

I gutted the new PCV i bought and threw out all the springs and valve junk.

And then i vented mine to the ground the same way he did his over to the drives side of the starter.

Also if you gut the PCV dont forget to plug the back of the intake this is the key to this whole repair plugging that thing so its not leaking.
Appreciate the info & photos.

Will spend tomorrow cleaning the inside of the (dirty) intake manifold and making upgrades, like your modifications. My PCV hose had so many cracks in it, hard to say how long it's been drawing in unfiltered air. Don't have to add oil between 5000 mile oil/filter changes, so the rings may not be too bad. Will not buy the hose from the Ford Dealership tomorrow, going with a PCV (heater) hose running out below the oil pan, too.

The original hose was cracked on both sides in several places @110,000 miles

Have a neat 1/4" & 3/8" ratchets for tight places, makes it easy removing/installing some of the tough manifold bolts.

Used this little tool to grab the manifold bolts to keep them from getting lost.

Purchased a 17" 1/4" drive extention at Harbor Freight today used to remove intake bolt through the grill.