Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89448
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Montana Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012TI View Post
Montana

I am from the old school days one would think with all the technology we have today that what we have learned in the old days would be long gone not when it comes to breaking in a engine or manual transmission (clutch based pedal or not) this same logic still applies. So to answer your question the first 300 miles on engine and Trans is the most important break in time that both will ever have. During this time the pistons, rings and cylinder walls are getting to new each other. (you remember the back in the day when you would here people say “ it is a new car don’t go over 50 MPH because it is new” that is by far one of the worst things one could do.) So back to break in, as the piston moves up and down with in the wall it knocks off microscopic pieces of the wall until there is a perfect relationships between the piston rings and the wall, this is also were the rings began to set. This will be the deciding factor of what kind of power this engine will have when it gets miles on it. It will also seal the deal if the motor will use oil not (burn it) so in a perfect world the rings would seat, and the wall would be a perfect match for the piston. Next step is to take the engine Very slowly to max RPM all under having 300 miles on the clock time and time again. So I must very clean on this I do not mean floor it and run it hard from 0-7300 RPM’s do it very slowly, this is also why the 2012 ford focus with power shift trans makes this so easy to do because you can put it in S mode and run it up very slow and very slow back down. This same logic is to be used with clutch disks, a clutch dish has lining on it and that lining can get very smooth (glazed) this will cause the clutch to be soft and have hot sport on the surface, so when you are going slow or fast and you hit this sport it will slip and than grab slip than grab, and this is were the shaking comes from. The proven way to break a clutch in is just the same way as the engine. The higher the RPMS are when you hit the next gear the computer in this case is going to call for 100% line pressure of the clutch and pressure plate, doing this over and over during the break in period will make the surface very course, in turn making the clutch not slip at all. I have had years of experience in doing this and you can tell between one that has been done this way and one that has not been. The 2012 ford focus DSP6 transmission has PWM (Pulse-width modulation) line pressure and when at low speeds in traffic were it will call for 50% line pressure and 0% pressure when foot of the gas in traffic, and than 50% or more depending how hard you push the gas down. If you have glazing or hot spots you are going to have problems. This is why it is very important that all people with any Clutch based Trans that you break you clutch in at high RPM’s with no slipping efforts. I hope I have shad some light on this I am not trying to be insulating to anyone. Thanks
Let me ask this then, In your car when in S mode does the car shift automatically? Just at a higher shift point?

Montana