Beepster
Banned

Fan#: 88947
What I Drive: Black 2012 Elantra GL

FF Reputation: 1 Beepster Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ymbiz View Post
I had a 2005 Mazda3 that had a similar sounding problem. In our car, the drivetrain would shimmy at 50-70 - similar feeling to a wheel balance problem, but a higher frequency vibration. We could feel the vibration from the front of the car, but also through the shifter, and only under load (not coasting). It didn't matter what gear we were in, and a different set of wheels didn't make any difference. In our car, the problem appeared in its first year and gradually got worse over time. Changing the motor mounts (as per a TSB) made a mild difference, but didn't solve the problem. We never went as far as asking the dealer to change the axles or transmission. We loved the car, but finally sold it at around 60k because I didn't want to deal with it any more.

My thought is that the engine mounting design for the 05 Mazda3, while very good at isolating vibration, might be somewhat prone to oscillation if there are minor imbalances or out-of-tolerance parts. The Mazda3 motor mounts were FoMoCo; maybe the 2012 Focus design has similar issues?
Even if Mazda kinda separated itself from Ford,many of the component of the Focus are shared with Mazda.As a mechanic ,I got a real hard time believing that the engine mounts could be the problem.I use to own an 06 Mazda3 and some road noise appeared the moment I rotated the tires.The day I replaced all the tires the problem was fixed.I also replaced the tires on my car but it didn't do much.I didn't told the dealership what part to replace ,they did it on their own and now they won't touch it until Ford release a TSB with a solution.It's been 11 weeks and I'm less than impressed with this BS.