Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Official Winter Tires Thread: Please post any winter questions here!
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2011, 07:57 PM   #3
2011 SE
Focus Addict

Fan#: 80951
What I Drive: 2011 SE

FF Reputation: 8 2011 SE Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Year: 2011
Make: Ford
Model: Focus
Tires only

I purchased my car late last year (end of November), and made it through the winter just fine with the stock 15" wheels (all season tires), ABS, traction control, and my manual transmission. Over the summer I bought some 17" OEM wheels, and plan on making the stock 15" wheels my "winter" set once the tread on those all season tires wears down a bit more. I drive approximately 30,000 miles a year, and my commute is about 50 miles round trip, five days a week. I have multiple questions.

-Knowing that longevity is important to me (I don't want to buy a new set of winter tires every other year), are there any brands/styles you can recommend?
-Will highway driving on salty roads greatly diminish the life of my winter tires?
-When would you recommend switching into and out of my winter set of tires each year, and why?
-Should winter tires only be used below a certain outdoor temperature or speed in order to prevent premature wear?

Thanks in advance!
Autobots decal over Ford emblems
Flat black TFB Designs hood stripes