Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Not going into gear all the way??
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2011, 05:05 PM   #1
oCancerPatiento
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 87139
What I Drive: 04 SVT , 02 5spd ZTW

FF Reputation: 1 oCancerPatiento Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Not going into gear all the way??

I just recently bought my 02 zx3. When I bought it the clutch was lightly slipping at hwy speeds and the shifter was as loose as can be. It also would grind in 1st gear from a stop some times. I only drove the car about 75 miles before I replaced the clutch. After driving it I noticed the clutch was not slipping any more but it would still pop out of gear and grind when leaving from 1st unless you hold pressure on the shifter. I soon replaced a bushing on the shifter which really tightened up the shifter. I also ziptied the neutral cable onto the transmission because it was very loose. When I drive the car it seems like the car isnt going into 1,3, and 5th gear fully like it does into 2 and 4. It doesn't grind in any other gears. Also if I go from reverse into first it will grind no matter what unless I shift into another forward gear first. Could the shift fork be bent? I have tried adjusting the cables (which I know are worn). Could I somehow adjust the cables so it goes into the gears farther? I am thinking the transmission is junk and am about to replace it. Please give me any info before I buy the other transmission. Thanks.