Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - My 2012 Focus issues: what Ford is and isn't doing
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2011, 11:31 AM   #29
csvt2060
Focus Addict

Fan#: 84122
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Escape Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 csvt2060 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumD View Post
As far as the auto wipers, I love them and do not care at all if it does a dry wipe on start sometimes. They are supposed to change speeds and turn on and off automatically. I'm not sure I understand what the issue is.
When you say "sometimes" does that mean it doesn't do the dry wipe on your car every time? I have had it once or twice not do the dry wipe, but very rare. I am asking them to be like every other Ford vehicle, leave them in auto and forget them like the Edge, Fusion, MKX, MKZ, Taurus.

Quote:
For your time and date issues, mine seems to have the option for setting from the satellite, not sure why it was mentioned that this is not supported. I have only had the time be wrong once when it crashed,(clock stayed on the time when it crashed for the whole remainder of the trip) and after a master reset it is wrong until you set it to use the satellite time.
It does not have the GPS setting if you have MyFord touch without the navigation option.

Quote:
For the headlight issues, I learned here that there is a way to have the dealer set up the car for DRL, and I believe that would fix all you issues. After all if the lights are always on, then the indicator should be always on and therefore would be correct. I do plan to ask to have this feature enabled as it will provide an insurance discount as well.
I am not willing to have DRL's just to patch a programming glitch with the car.

Quote:
For the fogs, I am glad the car wants to default them off. Extra lighting can cause dangerous glare for other drivers, and they should only be used in bad weather.
That's the thing, they don't always default to off. Either program them to stay off all the time or stay on. Again, every other Ford current models, and in the past, once you set the fogs you didn't have to worry about them again.

Quote:
I also wont worry about the dimming mirror, it does seem odd that they would wire it that way, but it really doesn't take much power to light up a black lcd. I will see if mine does that too, just out of curiosity.
That's great if you don't worry about it. I would like it to work correctly. We don't need to start making excuses for improper operation here. No matter how small the load, it is draining the battery. Which makes the smart alternator have to charge the battery more upon startup, decreasing gas mileage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altis View Post

Auto-wipers: On my car, I just leave them off until it rains, then turn them on. AFAIK, it is common for cars to do that because it makes sure the windshield is clear as part of the calibration so that it will properly detect when it starts to rain, or if it's raining now. I do think it's somewhat normal, but if it bothers you, just turn them off, and turn them back to auto if you are driving in the rain.
See above. It's not normal when they say in the owners manual to make sure you don't operate the wipers on a dry windshield. It will scratch the windshield over time, it's a fact. If it's supposed to be a automatically driven convienence feature, why should I have to worry if I have turned them off everytime it stops raining? Example: It stops raining, so they turn themselves off while driving, I drive for another hour, will I remember to turn the switch to "off" when I turn off the car so it doesn't do the dry wipe upon restart? Probably not, and I would rather not have the feature if I need to worry about it every time. Plus on top of that, they don't work that well, they are way to busy changing speed and delay time every few seconds. Again Fusion, Taurus, etc. operation on this is tons better.

Quote:
Fog lights: Like TitaniumD said, it's perfectly normal on very many cars for them to need to be turned on manually each time you are using the car. The same is true on these cars with the high beams. Fog lights are unnecessary and if you want them on, turn them on. I'm glad they don't come on because all they do is cause additional light in oncoming drivers' eyes, without helping me at all.
See above. People have varing opinions on "fog" lamps. I don't think they make any difference in fog. They have become and "appearance" item and I and many people use them as such.

Quote:
Headlights in MFD: Do you have DRLs? I do, here in Canada, and the thing about the Focus is that they seem to have Scandinavian running lights. When my car is on, even with the light switch in the OFF position, my headlights, tail lights, and little orange front corner lights, are all ON. All the time. Volvos are like this too. Every Focus I've seen around here always has them on too. If you don't have DRLs, then maybe this is nothing more than they didn't program a different picture for those who don't have them. This is a global car, and virtually every other place on the planet requires running lights. It isn't a fault, though. Laziness, perhaps.

TIP: Turn your car on. Turn the headlights to the OFF position. Walk around the car. What lights are actually on? Look closely at the front orange and the tail lights.
No DRL's in the US models unless you have a valid fleet identification number and order it with DRL's.

If you read my OP carefully about the message center, it works fine and shows the headlights off properly as long as I am not in reverse with the "park aid" message displayed. It's not only the headlights that do this. If a door is open in park or drive, and then closed while in reverse, it will show it's still open when the car is put in drive and the "park aid" message disappears.

Quote:
Good luck with the MFT and transmission issues. Those need to be dealt with and I hope Ford comes around for you. :)
Thanks.