Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - My 2012 Focus issues: what Ford is and isn't doing
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2011, 01:36 AM   #23
TitaniumD
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 89517
What I Drive: 2102 Titanium 5dr Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 1 TitaniumD Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I'm glad this forum is here so that we can learn about issues that may not be so isolated as ford thinks. I just signed up today and already found that my headliner needs to be replaced due to yellow adhesive spots.

That being said, I feel that a good deal of the issues reported here are either, normal operation, very minor and/or will be fixed. I am sorry that csvt2060 and some others here are so dissatisfied.

I have stopped following all of the numerous threads complaining about the transmission shudder, because I feel that is just the way the new DCT works. I knew the second I took off in my test drive that the tranny was very different on this car, and you know what, I like it! Ford still may work something out to satisfy those who complain about the shudder, but I hope they don't smooth it out so much that it gets boring to drive. It feels a little like a stick, and they shudder and shake and buck sometimes, so why not this? My complaint about the trans is that 6th should be geared a little different to allow lower rpms at hwy speeds, but that is just an idea.

The MFT issues I will agree need to be addressed, and I know they are working on it. Ford probably should have held off on the whole car till 2013 and rewrote the software completely, but then I wouldn't be driving one now, or probably at all, since I don't think I could have waited that long. I will say that I had my APM replaced and it made a world of difference with the rebooting issue, so I do believe there is bad batch of hardware as well as the software glitches. Mine "performed maintenance" about 7 times in the 1st 2 weeks I had it, then I got them to replace the APM and it has only happened once since (3months/6000mi) It has still crashed a few times, and done some weird stuff, but overall not too bad. I did not get the 2.11 update yet, not sure what it fixes except the radio turning on every time you start the car even if it was off when you shut off the car.

As far as the auto wipers, I love them and do not care at all if it does a dry wipe on start sometimes. They are supposed to change speeds and turn on and off automatically. I'm not sure I understand what the issue is. Also if they don't wipe long enough after using the washer, you can flip the washer for a quick half second to trigger another wipe without spraying anything. I have had to do this on many other cars, and do not see the issue here.

For your time and date issues, mine seems to have the option for setting from the satellite, not sure why it was mentioned that this is not supported. I have only had the time be wrong once when it crashed,(clock stayed on the time when it crashed for the whole remainder of the trip) and after a master reset it is wrong until you set it to use the satellite time.

I also don't see any problem with the temp gauges being a few degrees off. As I understand it is hard to get an affordable thermistor to be accurate for such a large temp range as a car would experience anywhere in the world throughout the year. It is normal for them to have a bell curve of accuracy over a given temp range. I predict Ford will not be able to fix that issue.

For the headlight issues, I learned here that there is a way to have the dealer set up the car for DRL, and I believe that would fix all you issues. After all if the lights are always on, then the indicator should be always on and therefore would be correct. I do plan to ask to have this feature enabled as it will provide an insurance discount as well.

For the fogs, I am glad the car wants to default them off. Extra lighting can cause dangerous glare for other drivers, and they should only be used in bad weather. Thank you Ford!!!

I also wont worry about the dimming mirror, it does seem odd that they would wire it that way, but it really doesn't take much power to light up a black lcd. I will see if mine does that too, just out of curiosity.

I am sorry if I fail to understand how much these issues mean to some people here, I think some of us here are in the anger phase of the purchase and feeling like "OMG! I just spent 28000 on a Focus it should be perfect!" and I was there and have now moved on to the acceptance phase of "well I am going to be driving this car for 5+ years, hope they fix MFT soon."
Anyway, rambled on long enough. I am sorry if this offends anyone, I don't mean to, I just felt like I had to say something. It feels much better to me in the acceptance phase than the anger phase.