Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2011, 11:35 AM   #170
DaeGoesFast
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 89413
What I Drive: 2000 Silver Celica

FF Reputation: 1 DaeGoesFast Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Hi everyone I'm new!

So I have read most of this thread and it nearly scared me away from the focus, but in interest of due diligence, I did more homework and took a test drive at my local dealer. Experience to me is the most important form of confirmation.

Now I realize I only drove one car, and I intend to test a few more at more dealers, but in the one I drove I really couldn't replicate the main issue being discussed here, which is the shaking/shuddering experienced at low speeds to a stop.

I tried stopping on a steep incline and lightly pushing the pedal to inch forward: one light jerk which I attribute to the shift from neutral to 1st gear, and I was inching forward.

I tried braking to a crawl down the steep incline: no noticeable lunge or computer confusion.

I babied the focus on the highway and saw an average of 43 mpg over 20 minutes.

I found some windy back roads and powered through them with ease, in both automatic and sport modes.

Really my experience was highly enjoyable, and I look forward to testing a few more focuses, but what I'm here to say is that I had told the salesman that I heard people where having issues with the powershift transmission. He had the chance to talk to one of the mechanics before my test drive, whom had said that there was a "bad batch" of about 200 transmissions due to a supplier that supplied faulty, or low quality parts for the tranny. I didn't get the absolute specifics, but has anyone else heard this explanation? Does it seem plausible, or is it just a salesman trying to subdue my fears of buying his inventory?