View Single Post
Old 08-30-2011, 10:56 PM   #35
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

FF Reputation: 14 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
It is hard to know WHAT the airflow over the front of the 2012 Focus is.
The Nascar and other types use theose strange "V" like cuts INTO the body for air. NOT a hole in the front of the body. (and for a good reason.)
Now if you had a wide hood scoop and the airflow up over the hood went right at the scoop. yeah.
I had played with a hole in the front bumper on my SVT Contour, took OUT the driver side Fog light and stuck a gizmo there to add to the air pressurization of the fender well where the SVT intake sucked it's air from. Both ouside guiding in, and inside to 'bend' the airflow up (and remove water)

As nice as the cool looking mod is, no way to actually know if it does any good without some airflow tests. (mine either, i was just messing around...).
Sorry.

(I do have to agree the tube is narrow for the purpose..) Maybe a 4" inner diameter tube would be more effective, but then it would not fit?... The sides of the tube itself restrict flow at the boundary, and with that small of a circumference, ??
I plan on just getting the K&N filter for the intake.
Since i no longer plan on going 140mph.. (getting too old to fool around THAT much) The K&N should give me a better intake sound, and power? over the average.
i would have to look in the area the air is pulled in to see if any added air could be available to the air cleaner.. But not HOT AIR, or give a better sound.
((the HOT AIR is NOT meant as an insult, it really is just avoid the hot air in the engine compartment..honest.))
I had a V6 Mystique before the Contour SVT, and THAT car had a fantastic sound adding the Contour SVT intake to it. The cool moan of the intake (with a lot of throttle) could and DID scare pedestrians..LOL

Added; polishing the throttle body outer lip to a bell to avoid any lip or edge, and if the inner is not lined up perfectly , fix it to be so with no lip or protruding edge... could also do a lot to assist in making a little power. NOT the full inner surface, as it is coated to not get sticky. Only the very outer or inner 1./4 inch or so,
Line up those surface mating lines for perfect smooth flow.!

Last edited by Elizabeth; 08-30-2011 at 11:00 PM. Reason: addedinfo (noted)