Grinder
Banned

Fan#: 85627
What I Drive: 2003 CD silver SVT

FF Reputation: 10 Grinder Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhawkeye View Post
I looked under the car, plus the dealer did too (they did first, then I checked myself later). No seepage or leaks from there. Thats why I'm a bit concerned. And it was filled up to the top (max) level on the dipstick when I got the car. I only noticed this maybe about 2 weeks ago. So, unless the dealer changed the oil when my car was being worked on for two weeks (which wasn't noted anywhere on the warranty/service papers), I'm a bit curious to know where the oil's going.

Like I said, I'm getting the oil changed anyway regardless (which I always will do with new cars when they hit 1000 miles or so). So, I'll probably have to wait two or three weeks after that to see if this comes up again...
First off, thanks for being the kind of customer that actually pays attention to his oil level. Most people don't know or care to even open the hood.

Your oil level is normal anywhere in the hash marks. There is absolutely no accurate way to measure consumption by the level on the stick. There isn't necessarily a 1qt difference top to bottom.

When checking your oil you have to understand that oil sorta "grows" when it gets hot. There will be a difference on your stick hot to cold. Furthermore it takes time for the oil to drain back down. You will have a higher oil level in the morning after an overnight wait than you will 10 seconds after you shut the engine off. Check your oil when the engine is warm and after waiting at least 5 min for it to drain down.

Ford allows up to 1qt of oil consumption per 1500 miles of driving. This will also be modified if you idle for extended periods. I'll admit that I've never had any car burn that much oil but it is the spec nontheless and if you think it's too excessive look up Toyota. They allow 1qt per 800!

Consumption tests must be performed in a controlled manner so you can't gauge your oil use simply by monitoring the dipstick. The only thing the dipstick will tell you is what the oil looks like and if it's full or low.

G/L