Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Highway Lane Drifting
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2011, 09:29 PM   #1
davedcc2012
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 89179
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Red Met. HB SE

FF Reputation: 1 davedcc2012 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Smile Highway Lane Drifting

Wanted to add this to the technical side. Initial thread in the general forum. I have since realized that this issue is a known issue and will touch base with my dealer tomorrow to ask them about it.

We both really love our Focus as it is truely an out of the box vehicle for us. Love the Cardinal Red and sunroof.

Hooray! I'm glad to read that I'm not the only one suffering the problem of the power steering deciding on its own where it wants to go.

We have 2012 SE Hatchback, Auto. We currently have just over 2,200 miles on it. It was purchased in May. Unfortunately, we didn't get a test ride on the freeway when we bought it as it was rush hour. You would think that everything would be ok.

Long story short: Car was into the dealer 4 times in the first two weeks of ownership. Had TPMS problems with the Continentals that it came with. Tires weren't holding pressure all the time. We went through the Ford Customer Service to try and get resolution as the dealership had a change of ownership and couldn't seem to answer any of our questions. I insisted and had the Continentails swapped out to a set of Michelins. The GM took it upon himself to foot the bill for this. In checking with Discount Tire, it would have been about $600.00 for me to make the change. Alignment was corrected prior to the tire swap and checked again after the change. At least the Michelins are holding pressure.

I'm considering getting the air replaced with nitrogen. I also have a 2011 Chevy Equinox that that was done. It keeps the variance of temperature change down.

But back to the Focus. We're still getting the uncontrolled drifting. It doesn't seem to matter whether the highway surface is brand new or not. I usually drive with just one hand on the wheel, but it makes you want to use two hands most of the time. There will be stretches where it behaves just like it should and then go off on its own. We can not predict the conditions that cause this. I have asked whether there is any firmware or software updates. According to Ford Lincoln of Franklin in checking with the Ford Hot Line, we're up to date.

Vehicle had just come off the truck the same day as we purchased it. So we were the first to ever drive it. So I guess you have to wonder.

dave