Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Would you buy a FORD FOCUS DIESEL?
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2011, 12:26 PM   #59
ajmorell
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84236
What I Drive: 02 SVTf, 98 Jeep ZJ

FF Reputation: 1 ajmorell Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ2BIG View Post
Chevy Cruze diesel will be on sale 2013

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using FF Mobile
and if you look at the numbers you'll see the initial cost would take forever to make up in fuel savings compared to the gas Cruze....IMO the diesel Cruze is going to fall flat on it's face.

A lot of you have mentioned cost as a turnoff, and while I agree I think most of you probably don't realize that the car companies aren't really making much money off of the engine itself. The extra cost you see to buya diesel is very close to the actual cost inferred to the car company to put that engine in said vehicle.

In my eyes the biggest reason the US does not have small diesel cars the way the UK does is related almost entirely to this public opinion or stigma that "diesels are dirty." While that was true 15 years ago, new diesels are actually extremely clean, and obviously the huge advantage is that they are significantly more efficient than their gasoline counterparts. If big car companies want to boost small diesel sales in the US it needs to start with some public awareness regarding the issue.