Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Focus at the track, lacking power
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2011, 04:17 PM   #22
Jack FFR1846
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 89104
What I Drive: 07 Elise

FF Reputation: 1 Jack FFR1846 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
More seat time. Try to ride with instructors during their sessions if you're not working a corner or in the classroom. The difference between a n00b's time and his instructor on a 1.5 mile course in the same car is typically 14 seconds a lap. (Lime Rock, NHMS as example tracks). Also carefully look at the track for where you might take a chicane where you can literally go straight through. NHMS turn 12 entry comes to mind. Your car is a momentum car. Watch what experienced guys in Miatas do. Or watch the ITA front wheel drive cars in an SCCA race when they're out of traffic. Don't focus on what you can do to the car. When I took my instructor test with SCDA, Bill Prout (look him up) got in his spec neon and told me to get in the passenger seat and instruct him. After checking me out, he took 2 or 3 laps. I'll tell you what.....he put a few BMW 3 series cars to shame with a spec Neon. Seat time over all else.