Focus Addict

Fan#: 85289
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Hatch Titanium

FF Reputation: 4 Tony407 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp90 View Post
Thanks for replying, Tony.
However, my question is if I get 4 new aftermarket speakers to replace the stock ones, do you think it would be better than sony system?
I found the biggest difference when I disconnected the center channel, which was producing some distorted, shrill high notes. I didn't realize this was the case until I did this, and the results surprised me. Of course, this is fairly subjective.

I did notice a difference in SQ when I replaced the front speakers with the JL Audios, but it was not as pronounced as I thought it would be. I suspect the Sony's system biggest fault lies in amplification and (possibly) equalization. I don't think the Sony speakers are that bad actually, with the center channel being an exception.

I will also make an educated guess and say that changing the sub, or at least providing more power and less (or more) equalization to it will make a huge difference as well.

I realize you're asking a simple question and I'm not really giving you a simple answer. Truth is, what my ears hear (or don't hear) might be different than yours. There are a few others who have swapped the Sony speakers out, I'd love to hear their input as well.

In a nutshell? Maybe. Was it worth the big bucks I spent replacing the Sonys with JL Audios? Not quite yet. Getting rid of the crappy center channel (or maybe it wasn't the speaker per se, but the amplification and/or equalization) was a much bigger improvement - and it was free! What I think will make a huge difference is when I eventually add my own amp(s) to replace the Sony one, in which case I think my JL investment will start to pay off.

Tony

Tony