Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - How many People with the SPI had a Valve Seat Failure?
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2011, 04:11 PM   #62
Fourmaki
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 85251
What I Drive: 2001 Ford F150

FF Reputation: 1 Fourmaki Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
As posted earlier I dropped valve seat #1 cylinder 120k miles. Scraped the piston, bent the rod, damaged the head. Then went on vacation for a wile.

Reworked the head, replaced all pistons, rings, rod bearings.and one rod. Other parts while I was in there. Timing belt, etc. gaskets you know the the drill. A little fussing with ISC ( idle sense control) needed removal and cleaning. I think from hose washing to remove any chunks of the valve seat.

All seams well did the brake in thing 30 to 50 MPH deal. All for about $800 bucks in parts and head shop cost. ( southern California dollars ) My hours, I really don't know I think with out removing the engine and working on my back in the street. Maybe 20 to 30 hours max. Mostly beer brakes.

There where a few fussy things, that bottom dam exhaust bracket. I still can't get the manifold to line up with the bracket on. And a strange bracket I think it goes around the fuel regulator. An IQ test I think. Or short term memory thing.

All in all was by the book. Daughter is running around town as I type this after I put 50 miles of no trouble operation.

Was fun in a strange way.