Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Focus is not a 1/4 mile car ...
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2004, 12:31 PM   #23
Carrera26
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12237
What I Drive: 2005 Mazda3 2.3/2003 VW Passat GLX

FF Reputation: 2 Carrera26 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I understand and cede that drag racing does take definite skill. I would never deny anyone their passion for a form of racing, I only question their choice of vehicle. If you really love drag racing, why pick the Focus, especially the SVT. Unless you have a deep-seated need to be different there are MANY cars better suited to the 1/4 mile than a Focus. Even amongst FWD cars, there are plenty of vehicles much easier and cheaper to make fast in a straight line. There are very few parts to make it an effective dragster, especially when you are talking about the SVTF.
The entire point of the Focus is it's fantastic chassis and suspension, not it's OK engine. That is what makes it such a great car, pure and simple. And straight line acceleration is fun, to be sure, but it doesn't come close to holding on at the knife-edge of control through a road course or AutoX for me. Not to mention that I can actually be racing for far longer on course than I can at the strip.

So tell me, drag racers, why use the Focus to drag race when there are so many other more appropriate and fast cars out there?