sirhawkeye
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83605
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Ingot Silver HB

FF Reputation: 1 sirhawkeye Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch7719 View Post
I'm about an hour new to this forum and I joined only in hopes to find out what the heck is wrong with my transmission! I bought my 2012 Focus about a week ago and just clicked 1K miles. I love the car but I have all of the same problems as the rest of you guys. Car shudders (especially) at downhill stops...clunks into gear hard (intermittently), reverse is "jerky" feels like it skips third gear sometimes, and it's all getting worse. Dealer said it's normal and they're not that familiar with the new trans....also told me they've replaced a couple of Fiesta transmissions less than a thousand miles. I don't know if Ford is using the same trans there, but sounds scary. Feel kinda sick I dumped 21K ten days ago, and having problems.
I would maybe take it to another dealer. I will tell you this, the rental I have is a bit jerky too... makes some noises, and reverse is jerky as well. The car has 2k on it, and for the most part it seems OK. It's just something we may have to get used to. Maybe go another 500 or 1000 miles and then see. After all, your warranty is good for 5 years or 60k.

The reason I had to get mine in quickly (which I just dropped off this afternoon by the way) is because they now think the problem I have (the whining / moaning noise that fades in and out) could possibly be a bearing within the trans, and they don't want me driving it any more than I have to, in fear that the trans could break down alltogether (and I travel a decent amount for work).

But, back to your question, I would simply just give the car another 1000 miles or so and then see. I know it's a bit annoying since you spent $21,000 on a car and it doesn't seem right, but all the Focuses that I've driven have been a little jerky at times (and I doubt that all 5 were bad)... it's a different style of transmission than what most are used to. Most are used to the smooth-shifting tranny, but the 6-speed in the Focus is like an automated manual, so it's going to have some characteristics (in particular some noise, and a bit jerky) as a manual does.

LIke I said, take it to another dealer if you want reassurance. Or even a third dealer if you must. I went to three dealers before going back to my own dealer (where I got the car).