View Single Post
Old 07-29-2011, 08:41 PM   #43
jsmichael
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 61254
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Focus SE Sport

FF Reputation: 1 jsmichael Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
As with purchasing a x.0 version of a piece of software, there is also a risk with purchasing an initial release of a redesigned vehicle like the 2012 Focus.

Back in January 2008 I purchased a 2008 Super Duty pickup truck with the new 6.4L Power Stroke diesel engine (this engine was made by Navistar; the new 6.7L PSD is made by Ford). Some of the guys who purchased the earlier trucks (Job 1 and 2) starting in spring 2007 had more issues to contend with on average compared to guys like me who purchased Job 3 trucks.

Ford provided new programming over time as things panned out with the new engine. Note that the 6.4L PSD was the most tested engine to date, but for whatever reason, once the engine was being used by thousands of pickup truck owners, new issues arose that the Ford engineers didn't see during their extensive testing period. I guess that shows that while controlled testing is good for many things, there's nothing like real world testing to really hash out problems.

My point in all of this is that there is going to be some "growing pains" with this new Focus and tranny. I know that's not what people who shelled out good money for the vehicle want to hear, but that's what I'm thinking.

Another thing to keep in mind is that we don't know how many 2012 Focuses have been sold compared to how many 2012 Focuses are actually experiencing these tranny problems. Historically, you'll see reports of problems for anything posted on the Internet, but you don't see much of the good reports.

I understand what people are talking about when they're describing the tranny issues in their 2012 Focus. My 2012 Focus has about 1200 miles now (mostly highway) and also has experienced some of the reported problems, although not to an intolerable degree.

I'm confident that given some time of having the 2012 Focus run in the real world, the Ford engineers will be able to solve some, if not all, of these transmission problems. Just as I've had the PCM in my truck reprogrammed a few times to address specific issues with the engine, I'm pretty sure that Ford will also come out with some reprogramming to address the transmission issues. Note that once Ford identifies a possible programming fix to these problems, they will take some time to test them before making them available to Ford dealerships nationwide.

Keep the faith, people. Ford is not just going to sweep this problem under the rug since it's not in their best interest to do so.

Last edited by jsmichael; 07-29-2011 at 08:45 PM. Reason: mispelled word