Old 07-29-2011, 08:06 PM   #83
Eurofordfan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87186
What I Drive: 1985 Moto Guzzi T5 850 NT

FF Reputation: 1 Eurofordfan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
fanddp:

You posted today, indicating that the replacement steering column must be backordered...

Do you know if Ford / TRW has a major issue on their hands, here? It certainly is not just a Ford issue. I understand that BMW, for example, with their Z4, has this or a similar issue, and I've heard that the issue exists with the Honda Fit, too.. Many Companies are in denial about this (or are stonewalling). Toyota, with their '09 and up Corolla, denied it... It only happened, I believe, with a small segment of the car population -- but ultimately they issued different software for complaining owners, though this is really on the hush-hush. The NHTSA (sp?) got involved. Your discussion of the problem does not seem like it's strictly software -- but rather, the on-center feedback device, and the correlation of same to the rack power assist. In the case of the Toyota's, the rack fought-back so fiercely, owners could not, typically, overpower the steering that had its own mind!

I suspect that you are a bit unwilling to share the official Ford communication, in that Ford probably considers it a mistake to have shared it with you.

If Ford is forthcoming with info, like for example, issuing a TSB, that's be great -- but if Ford starts behaving like Toyota, 'cause of the TRW issue, then that'd certainly call for stronger measures.

I am hoping this will be resolved with the new production of cars, and that I can get a sense for what VIN and later, a person could buy, and know that the problem has been resolved.

Any further info you can share with the community would be much appreciated.