Tony407
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85289
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Hatch Titanium

FF Reputation: 4 Tony407 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by feta_mgp View Post
If it shut off anyway then what difference does it make?

I don't see the difference or why it matters if the car shuts off either way, Ford did something different, so it shuts off when you open the door instead of hitting the brake, I'd rather have that than the tease of sitting down getting all situated and then having to restart the car cause I hit the brake.
The car would only shut off if you stepped on the brake without the intelligent access key in the car (on cars with IA), or without putting the key in the ignition and turning it to the on position before stepping on the brake.

My typical scenario would work as follows in my '08 F150:

I remote start the truck from inside my house. I unlock the door, (with the fob unlock button, key, or door keypad) get in, put the key into the ignition and turn it, then proceed as normal. If I get into the truck and forget to put the key into the ignition and I step on the brake to take the transmission out of park, the engine dies instantly. Then I say: "Oops...I forgot to put the damn key in the ignition! Doh!" Happens frequently.

The typical scenario on several of my IA vehicles with remote start, and the way it should work with the Focus:

I remote start the car from inside my house. I walk up to the car, unlock the door when I touch or pull on the handle, get inside and put my foot on the brake and push the engine start button and proceed as normal. If for some reason I don't have the IA key with me, I can't even get into the locked car. Furthermore, even if I were able to get into the car without the IA key either the engine would shut off when the brake pedal is depressed or the transmission wouldn't be able to taken out of park.

I hope this clarifies things.

Tony