Old 07-19-2011, 05:55 PM   #30
Offrddrver
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 88002
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Metalic Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Offrddrver Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
All,

My 2012 Focus arrived with the same issues as I see reported above. Shutters with RPM near the 750 to 1100 range. Mostly during exceleration and deceleration is the worst. However, I also notice if the car is in PARK on a slight up hill or down hill and idling it also Shutters lightly.
I too got the Customer Bulletin about "don't adjust anything and tell the customer". My bulletin clearly stated 1000 mile break in period. Well, I'm now at 1950 miles today and it is still shuttering at all the same points noted above. If this thing is learning my driving then it is doing a really bad job of it. By the way I baby this car to try and get the best gas milage, so I'm sure Ford will now tell me that it will take longer due to my "gas saving" driving habits. (Bad gas milage is another story beyond this Trans issue. Nowhere close to 37 mpg.)
After my first service visit and after reading the bulletin I figured I would drive more agressive at the lights and any other excelleration times (FOR ONE TANK OF GAS), but it did not help as already stated. So, I told my dealer I'll be back for round two of service, but I'm sure they will give the same run arround.
(Just to note, I also have a 2004 Ford Expedition that came with a wheel and steering wheel shutter from day one. (Shutter above 65 MPH alone, or above 45 MPH while pulling a trailer.) Ford gave me the run around on this until 12,000 miles. And then they told me that the front end parts are no longer covered after 12000 miles. What the hell happened to the 3 yr 36000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. Now that same SUV has ~97000 miles and that wheel shutter is still present. Ford always said it was just the tires. I changed tires 4 times, and then even changed rims and tires and then changed brake rotors 2x times and the shutter has never gone away.)
LONG STORY SHORT ABOUT THE FOCUS ISSUE - FORD IS NOT GOING TO FIX THIS FOR US UNTIL IT BECOMES A SAFETY RECALL! And it they can find a way to wash there hands of it before 3yr 36k miles they will surely do so, sticking you with the issue until you ditch the vehical!
Happy $27,000.00 for me! You got off cheap at $21,000.00 person from earlier post.

Last edited by Offrddrver; 07-19-2011 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Original MPG posting didn't fit this forum so changed to Transmission issue notes.