Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Project FSP Focus is kicked off!!!
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2011, 09:51 AM   #143
wrc_fan
slow

Fan#: 11913
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 Duratec 08 WRX Hatch

FF Reputation: 23 wrc_fan Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Well, the work is done, and I made it to one day of the two day autox. Thanks to Andrew and others for their help on this undertaking, I owe Andrew some time as crew at a rally in the future. Doing this was quite the undertaking, and without a doubt the most extensive bit of car repair/work Ive undertaken.

Some lessons learned from all this work:
-If you are going to use a junk yard transmission, check all of the threaded holes for damage
-The best way to drop the transmission and reinstall it is to drop the subframe
-The bracket on top of the steering rack uses a 5.5mm size bolt head, luckily a 7/32 is pretty close

Some crappy cell phone pics:

Original autox car gear set, third syncro is beyond toast

Guts from the junkyard trans in the original case

Getting setup to check for play in the diff

"Super" Limited Slip

Time to go under the car. Next time, I will be taking the front bumper cover off

After the initial install, the Kaaz differential requires a break in procedure and changing the transmission fluid afterwards. Do this step. Also note, this is not a part for a daily driver. The diff is expensive, loud, and requires frequent trans fluid changes. Driving in parking lots slowly is equivalent to driving a 4x4 with a locked front axle.

The good news, the new differential has made the car night and day different to drive. This is a good thing, accelerating out of a turn, both tires send power to the ground, and the car grips and goes like hell. The ability to put power to the ground when turning, threw off my normal timing in the slaloms. I was also a little hesitant to hammer on the car at first, given that I had just spent many days getting it back together. With the autox that weekend, we only had 4 timed runs, but by the end I had easily knocked 5 seconds off my original run and the car felt like it had lots of time left in it. Also, consider that my last two runs were without a rear sway bar (need to fix the rear endlink).

"Hella Functional - Raced, Not Hard Parked"