Old 07-18-2011, 06:14 AM   #40
Tony407
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85289
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Hatch Titanium

FF Reputation: 4 Tony407 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Wiring

Here's a picture of the Sony mid and its connector. Notice how both wires are black, hence no visible distinction between positive and negative. But I did mark the polarity:

Here's the back of the Sony mid. This is one way to see which black wire was positive and negative. The other test (which I used to confirm polarity) is called the "pop" test. Take a AA battery and connect short leads of speaker wire to each end. Take the wire from the positive end of the battery and hook it up to the positive terminal of the speaker in question (if not known, just choose one). Briefly touch the wire hooked up to the negative end of the battery to the negative terminal (or other terminal, if not known) of the speaker. If you have them correctly hooked up (i.e., positive to positive and negative to negative) the speaker cone should "pop" outwards towards you when looking at the front of the speaker. If it "pops" inward, then the polarity is reversed. I used this process to confirm the proper polarity of both the mids and tweeters, just to be sure Sony had them marked correctly. You can do the same with subs, but you might have to use a 9 volt battery if a AA doesn't have enough juice to get the cone to move.

Here's the back side of the passenger tweeter. The positive wire is the green one with the orange stripe:

I already did the driver's side speakers earlier in this thread but failed to take photos of the wires. The woofer wires on the driver's side are the same as the passenger side, they're both black. But here's a pic of the driver's side tweeter. The positive wire is the purple one with the orange-ish stripe.