fla2smoker
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87092
What I Drive: 2012, Black, Focus Ti

FF Reputation: 1 fla2smoker Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by macromind View Post
While perusing through the owner's manual, I was surprised to learn that in addition having an intelligent oil life monitor that effective extends the intervals between oil changes, the 2012 Ford Focus has no scheduled tune- ups. (at least non that is mentioned in the owner's manual).

Here's what my dealer rep said:

"The intelligent oil-life monitor, monitors your oil and the monitor will go as long as one year or 10,000 miles on the focus. This means that you don't have to change your oil untill 10,000 miles; if you do the oil monitor will let you know.

There is no maitinance schedule for the focus other than the oil changes at 10,000 miles and the spark plug changes at 100,000 miles. That is amazing. Just let me know if there is anything else i can do for you."

Is this correct? Is this pretty standard with new cars today? Nobody has ever mentioned this about the car and I have read through a lot print research before buying. If it it correct, then it would substantially lower the overall cost of ownership, especially over other/ older cars that require such maintenance. Just surprised it's never mentioned as a selling point.
This is pretty much the standard on vehicles over the past ten years. The only change in the past five years has been towards more synthetic fluids for the drivetrain. They reduce wear and allow the manufacturer to run a lighter weight oil which reduces drag and increases mpg.