Old 12-02-2004, 11:53 AM   #77
onebluemcm
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 7200
What I Drive: 2003 Red SVT Euro AP

FF Reputation: 1 onebluemcm Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Just an update.

I like the shifter just fine - similar improvements as everyone has said so far.

My one gripe is that the throw to 5th is as much of a reach if not more than with the original shifter - and my main impression is that it is a bigger reach, just feels awkward and stretched out.

SO.....I took the shifter out one last time and put a bend in it similar to the angle the original shifter has. I just took the knob off, left the little aluminum box thingy and the plastic cups on the lower end. The way I bent it will sound barbaric but it was effective and caused no damage. I just set the shifter rod across two 2x4's set on edge on the floor about 2-3inches apart and persuaded a bend to form with a 2.5lb hammer (pounded it). Just put the threaded end on top of one block and the part of the rod above the ball/aluminum box on the other block. The wood won't mess up the threads, no worry there. Obviously if you have a good solid vice, that is the way to go but I don't have one. I angled it backwards and VERY slightly to the drivers side - maybe 1/2 degree to the drivers side - and now it truly is a perfect shifter. The angle backwards is basically identical to the original shifter. Once it is all installed, you would never know it had a bend (just like the original) but it puts the knob back about an inch and makes the whole shift pattern even smoother and more fun to go through, especially the 4-5 or 6-5 shifts.

My only word of caution is to not put too much bend in it towards the drivers side - if too much, when going into reverse you will be nearly hitting the side of the seat. The safest bet is a straight bend backwards but if you are careful, a minimal bend (less than a degree) towards the drivers side really helps the 4-5 up-shift.

I'm really suprised FRPP/Steeda doesn't but a bend in the shifter because, in my opinion, it really makes the whole set-up perfect - but maybe the extra manufacturing step, however simple, is just not cost effective.

So, for those of you who haven't installed the shifter yet, you might want to consider putting a slight bend in the stick - I wouldn't go more than the original but that amount or less will certainly only improve the feel of this upgrade.

Of course, my 2 cents....

K