Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Focus at the track, lacking power
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2011, 01:57 PM   #14
shlbygt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 23315
What I Drive: 04 SVT PWSC EAP

Points 660, Level 13
Points: 660, Level: 13 Points: 660, Level: 13 Points: 660, Level: 13
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 5 shlbygt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
From the track map and satellite photo of the track you would need to get as much speed as possible exiting turn 8. A couple of mph there would give a higher top speed towards turn 2 if you could carry the speed through the jogs in the track. Similarly you will need to get out of turn 3B cleanly to make speed towards 5A.

From the videos you were using all of the track at the exit of 8 which is good. If you notice a number of the other cars were not. They were leaving a lot on the table by not finishing off the turn properly.

I tell my students to get on the power as soon and as hard as they can to the point where you wonít need to get out of it.
Most people apply too much throttle too early and too hard, then back out and back on again. It is a real momentum killer, especially in a low horsepower car.
I ask my students if they have taken calculus (see, book learnín ainít all bad after all). Think about the area under a curve. A nice throttle application would be a smooth arc upwards that maximizes both the time the throttle is applied and the amount of throttle. Someone who gets on the throttle a tick later or applies it too soon and has to back off would have a jagged line with spikes and valleys. Less area under the curve.

I run a SVT Focus with Cobalt pads, they are phenomenal. I do much of my ďacceleratingĒ while under braking because the car stops so well.
Most folks starting out do not use their brakes as efficiently as they could. Many back off the throttle, coast down a ways then apply a little brake, then a little more before turn in. Exactly as you would while driving to work approaching a signal light. On track the rules are different.
Keep on the throttle to the braking zone and then get on the brakes hard until turn in. If the car has ABS, find out where the threshold is and get as close to that point as you can before the turn. On a non ABS car it will take a bit more practice.

As for more power, it is nice but wonít necessarily make you faster. I have a friend that I run with at Mosport. He has a SVT with Hoosiers and a Torsen. I have a PWSC SVT with NT01ís and a Torsen. So I have more power but his tires are a little stickier.
When we go out to play I can run him down and pull away at will with my power advantage all day long.
However, he has larger testicles than I.
In turns 1 through 4 he carries way more speed than I am comfortable with. He brakes later and less and gets back on the power a little earlier. He also keeps the car up in the rev band while I tend to short shift.
If we were in identical cars, he would simply pull away from me and it would appear to anyone watching that he had tons more power because of the distance he gains exiting the turns. In a 20-25 minute session he would probably be 3 or 4 turns ahead by the end of the session.