Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Highway lane drifting
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2011, 08:15 AM   #54
BiggerBoat
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85913
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 BiggerBoat Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sehatch View Post
Just wondering if anyone is working with their local dealer to identify the problem. The steering issue affects minor corrections. Itís more than just heavy steering, itís as if the EPAS is resisting your minor correction. You feel a resistance in the wheel to the correction then the resistance would give but it would be difficult or impossible to not overcorrect. So then the car goes too far requiring correction in the opposite direction. The resistance is much heaver than what you would experience with no assist at all. It requires both hands to make minor corrections.

I have returned my Focus and Iím now driving my trade in an Audi A3. Iím told a Ford service Rep will test the car later this week to determine what action to take. Love the car but can not live with this issue. Let me know if your dealer has resolved the issue for you. ThanksÖ
Your description is right on the money compared to my experience (although it's severity is more intermittent.)

I will be taking my car back in again when I can get a couple hours off from work to go for a drive with the service manager. I also have an incident logged with Ford Customer Service. As with others, its tricky because it is intermittent for me. I will definitely report my outcome. There are a few threads up here and many people reporting this. My sense is that the issue will eventually be solved but I expect it will take a while and involvement from factory engineers. My initial visit was similar to others. That is, service finding no obvious defects.