Eurofordfan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87186
What I Drive: 1985 Moto Guzzi T5 850 NT

FF Reputation: 1 Eurofordfan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuke2u View Post
Hi, it is rather strange that this 'phenomena' hasn't been picked up by anyone else aside from this forum. None of the road tests, short or long, I've read have mentioned anything about this at all, infact all most of them say the steering is a little insensitive to input when cornering. I've driven one and didn't notice anything different from my Mondeo's hydraulic pas. It can't be tramlining, as this only occurs under slower speeds, it can't be that the steering automatically stiffens, as this has been around for donkey's years. It could be that the steering is over servo'd, if so this would just need a tweak to the car's electronic mapping.
Perhaps this is just a feature that needs a little adjustment to the way they are driven, it might just be that the car is designed around the driving characteristics of several different countries, not just the US.
Chris
Hey folks, before people start assuming that those who've reported on-center strangeness, notchiness, etc...are a bit crazy ('cause they themselves find nothing amiss with their respective cars) I would cite the recent occurance with model year '09 and '10 US and Canadian Toyota Corolla's. There was a contingent of people -- perhaps about 1400 or so, amidst a vehicle population of I think several hundreds of thousands -- that made complaints to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, reporting strange on-center behavior at highway speeds. Tons of people in the on-line discussion said "what are these people saying?; I love the steering on my Corolla. They must be crazy..." They dissed them to no end! Well, as it happens, there were legitimate complaints -- though it was denied by Toyota. Toyota finally relinquished, and offered an un-publicized warranty arrangement, whereby after doing the requisite checks on four-wheel alignment, they upgraded the steering logic modules for the individuals who were complaining, and desensitized the steering officially, thru Toyota channels. It was a relatively small contingent of vehicles that were affected, but affected they were -- and they sent people 'clean off the road, in some circumstances!

It remains unpublicized.

EPAS is pretty sensitive to a number of parameters, and if the wheel angular position sensor is not spot-on, strange things can occur. Other "tolerances" / behavior of the electronic components can cause problems.

I'm not saying this is occurring here -- but DO NOT discount these complaints as being spurious, 'cause they may only be occurring for some of the vehicles!