Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - 2012 Focus owners - how do you like Powershift tranny so far?
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2011, 02:35 PM   #102
Tony407
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85289
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Hatch Titanium

FF Reputation: 4 Tony407 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Targon View Post
Now, Sports Mode....great for accelerating, but it SUCKS when it comes to downshifts(since the idea is that you will be accelerating again). Again, think about the purpose of sports mode, better acceleration. When you have to down-shift, the sports mode sets it to be revving high so you can quickly accelerate again and it is already in the "meat of gear, so is ready for you to upshift right after you have downshifted". That behavior is NOT good IMO, so what I normally do is go to sport mode for accelerating, then shift it back to regular drive once I have hit the speed I want to be going. If I have to decelerate, sticking with drive is better, so I'll go back to sports mode if I want to quickly accelerate again.
I couldn't disagree more. I find the sport mode to be superior to most other "auto" cars I've owned in terms of downshifting to be in the optimal power range for entering a corner for example. Conversely, I find sport mode to be useless for acceleration per se, other than the fact that it's more likely to be in a lower gear when you need it.

Tony