Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Intelligent Oil Life Monitor
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2011, 09:38 AM   #30
silenthill
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85671
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL hatch

FF Reputation: 2 silenthill Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spivonious View Post
My dad's BMW 328 has a similar system. It's been telling him to change at about 20,000 mile intervals. No engine problems yet and he's approaching 100k. I think synthetic oils have a much longer lifespan than we think they do.
That may very well be, but the 2012 Focus isn't running a full synthetic oil and also that the manual specifically outlines 10,000 as the longest interval for oil.

My personal car maintenance philosophy is to maintain the car, but not over- or under- maintain. I changed my oil on my last car every 7,500 miles as per the owner's manual and got the car up to 170k before I sold it.

I actually have faith in the iOLM technology, but I'm concerned that there's no way to see the current oil life. Maybe I just don't like surprises, but I'd rather know that I'm down to 30% oil life so I can figure out when to make time to take the car in for service, versus having the 5% "Oil Change Soon" surprise me.