herbz
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84909
What I Drive: 2012 SE Hatch 5MT Sterling Grey

FF Reputation: 1 herbz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeywhat View Post
So is there anything more to this? Anyone find anything to 'fix' this? This is quite possibly the most annoying thing I've experienced with a car...it's literally a chore to drive after 30 minutes or so. Plus I look like an idiot driving down the freeway like someone bowling with the gutter guards down.
Well my car now has over 800 miles on it. Most of it highway. I came from a car with hydraulic steering and there was definetley an adjustment period to the electronic steering. Especially on the highway.

While it can be annoying sometimes I basically have realized that is just the way the car behaves on the highway.

I've found ways to make it a non-issue.. namely:

-Drive with 2 hands on the wheel, 10 and 2.
-Make VERY slight adjustments to the steering wheel. It is very easy to "overcorrect" (thus causing the "drifting" effect) and I've found that very slightly nudging the wheel is the best way to correct the right amount. It's much easier to do this with 2 hands on the wheel.
-Don't overthink it. I think adjusting to the electric steering got me overthinking the way the car drives on the highway.

Granted maybe you do really have a problem, but ever since I stopped over thinking it, I've found it quite enjoyable to drive on the highway, for the most part.

I'd much rather prefer hydraulic, but what can you do. The world is moving to electric-assisted everything, so we will work with what you got.

That's the best advice I can give. Hope it helps.