Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Intelligent Oil Life Monitor
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2011, 05:11 PM   #22
redav
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86142
What I Drive: 2002, Yellow Mazda

FF Reputation: 1 redav Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
true, when your dealership is changing your oil. do you want to spend $XXX for a computer just to do the reset when you're changing your oil yourself in your driveway? then again might be another revenue stream for ford.
Let's ask this question: Who will perform the reset? I see it being tied to who changes the oil:
1. dealership
2. jiffy or other generic lube shop
3. yourself/family/friend

If it's (1), then the dealership will reset it. I get my oil changed at the dealership, and they perform a full check of the car while it's in process. The computer interface tool would be the simplest way for them to do it instead of getting inside the car & fiddling with it. I would have no complaints with this since I take my car to the dealership anyway (they offer free oil changes if I complete my regularly scheduled maintenance there). IIRC, there are many cars that turn on an idiot light to get you to change your oil, and the owner has to take it somewhere to turn it off; that's essentially all this would be, but minus the idiot light.

If it's (2) or (3), then you will have to reset it because the quick lube place won't know how, and I wouldn't trust them to do it correctly, anyway. Odds are most people won't remember the process without looking it up, so using the info display is simplest. However, as was pointed out, there are people out there who will use the simplicity to screw it up. OTOH, if someone loses the manual, he'll never reset it, and then the feature is pointless. Neither of these solutions is ideal. That's where the auto-detect would be best.

Quote:
how would it detect this? when you change the oil filter? some optical sensor to detect the clarity of the oil? just something else to go wrong that really serves little purpose. not when a manual procedure isn't that hard.
Hardly. How does it detect that the oil needs to be changed? Someone explained that it measures other things in the engine that the oil affects. When the oil's performance starts to fade, those measurements are affected and that's how the computer detects it. (I would think it would be easier to directly measure the properties of the oil itself, such as electrical properties, that change as the oil becomes contaminated/breaks down. Then the system would be about as complicated as your fuel gauge.)

My question is: If you can measure those things the oil affects, and from those measurements detect that the oil is going bad, why can you not measure those things and detect that the oil is NOT going bad? Or, if the computer keeps a log of the measurements, and there is a steady decay with time, it's pretty easy to detect a jump back to the "new oil" measurements, at which time the computer will conclude the oil was changed & resets itself.

Personally, it doesn't really matter since I'm the type that will change the oil on a regular schedule anyway. Oil changes are cheap, so the simplicity of a regular schedule is just as valuable to me as stretching a few more months out of my oil. So, if the system is there or not, I don't think I would use it nor even look at it. (That actually fixes all the problems: the process is uber-simple--do nothing; there are no downsides to forgetting to reset it; and if it gets reset accidentally, I probably wouldn't even notice.)