Old 11-29-2004, 04:57 PM   #73
onebluemcm
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 7200
What I Drive: 2003 Red SVT Euro AP

FF Reputation: 1 onebluemcm Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
WD40-
I printed the text from your write-up to use as a guide - was better than the info that came with the stick!! Thanks!

Install was no prob. I got one tube of lube and it is plenty - the most important place for it is in the little black cup, the upper piece. HOWEVER - I didn't like the feel of that Prothane grease - the stuff is VERY tenacious - sticky so much that the stick, to me, didn't move freely enough. So, after I got it all installed, I took it back apart and used some special bicycle wheel bearing grease I had from when I used to be the head mechanic in a bike shop. I recommend it highly for something like this. It's called Phil Waterproof Grease made by Phil Wood company - http://www.philwood.com/webcatolog/pg16.htm I use this stuff exclusively for bike wheel bearings - it comes out of the tube kind of thick but becomes really smooth once installed in a bearing or on the end of a shifter.

The great thing about it, which may not apply for those of you in souther climates, is that in cold weather it does not get really thick. The supplied Prothane grease out of the tube is really sticky and in cold weather it get worse, in my experience.

ANYWAY - compared to the prothane stuff, the stick now centers very nicely and quickly when in neutral and in no way do I feel like I'm pushing against thick grease.

Just my two cents guys - if you want the Phil grease, check a local bike shop first.

Later, Kevin