completely_focused
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86510
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 completely_focused Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewslayer View Post
I'm kinda glad I'm not the only one! Mine does it too & it's going back to the dealer on Friday. It's definiately something in the electric power steering because it doesn't do it all the time. It seems to start happening about a half hour or more into a long drive. The steering seems to lock in one position and when you go to move the wheel (either way) to make a slight adjustment, it resists until you put enough force into it to, and then it moves too much sending you to towards the other lane, it immmediately locks into that position and you can't make a minor adjustment to get back to center. You end up zigzaging in your lane for miles and miles. It's exhausting! We went on 1200 mile trip this weekend and had to change drivers every hour or so because of this. We pulled off at at rest area and I pulled the fuse for the steering module and it actually steered perfect (better than normal) for about a half hour and then it started up again. With my luck it won't do it when I take it to the dealer and they'll think I'm nuts!
If it doesn't happen till a half an hour into a long drive, that would explain why I didn't notice any problem during my test drive of different Focus cars. If the steering wheel doesn't feel completely smooth all the time I would not be happy at all. The idea sounds good but if there is noticeable resistance/nochyness to turning the wheel while driving I don't know how anyone can stand that.