Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 79102
What I Drive: 2013 Blue Candy M5 Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 2 Jazzdog Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbz View Post
Hey all,

My new Focus only has about 350 miles on it, about half of which are highway. I was wondering if anyone else has the following problem.

When driving on the highway, I feel it's a bit hard to keep the car in its lane. It seems like the electric steering "locks" the car into a "straight" line, but often times that "straight" path heads toward the lane divider. So I'll be going towards the left lane divider, then correct right, then head towards the right lane divider, then correct left, etc. etc. It never seems to just want to go straight ahead.
The EPAS steering gear has drift/pull compensation that is intended to mitigate some of this. Most roads have a crown so driving down a 2 lane road w/ a crown your vehicle will drift to the right, same thing in left lane of a highway.

Next time you sense the condition take note of the road crown to see if that explains what is happening. Switch lanes if you are on freeway to see if that changes condition. The drift/pull compensation should sense the slight steering input and null it out so you don't feel the pull on the wheel but only to an extent. Check your tire pressures to make sure that is not it, can also swap LF & RF tires to see if that resolves issue, tire conicity (one side bigger diam than other) can also cause a pull.