Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - 2012 Mudflaps - aftermarket?
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2011, 12:44 PM   #20
2012silversel
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83969
What I Drive: 2014 C-Max Energi, Sterling Gray

Points 1,919, Level 26
Points: 1,919, Level: 26 Points: 1,919, Level: 26 Points: 1,919, Level: 26
Level Up 19% Completed
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 2012silversel Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilcher View Post
Those look real nice! I've never done these before, if I buy the OEM mudflaps do they just screw into pre-existing holes?
Installation is really easy. You remove the existing plugs and install plastic pop rivets that get hammered in. All the holes match up, one hole needs to be drilled.
Edit: Installation steps:
Fronts:
Remove tire
The instructions will show which rivets to use in which holes
Pry out 3 wheel well liner plugs and anchors and the plug and anchor under the car holding the front of the plastic scuff guard (I also tightened 3 Torx screws supporting the wheel well liner with a 5/32 allen wrench)
Fit guard and install top plastic pop rivet, hammer in the rivet to hold the guard in place. Install the other two rivets. You may have to support the wheel well liner when hammering the rivets, there's some bounce back
Install pop rivet under the car
Drill a 15/64 (6mm) hole through the existing inner most hole on the guard and install the final rivet. My cordless drill did not fit between the brake disk and the wheel well liner so I had to drill at an angle, seems OK though. A small right angle drill will work great.
Rears:
Remover tire
Remove two Torx screws with a 5/32 allen
Slip screw clip on to soft felt liner material lining it up with the existing hole
Fit guard and install Torx screws and screw into screw clip
Install pinch clip at the tab and push like hell or hammer into place
Now repeat on the other side of the car and your done.